Thursday, April 29, 2010

Resistance is futile

For the longest time, I stayed away from digital cameras like they were eggplants (Translation: I don't like eggplants. I'd rather be nutrient deficient than eat eggplants). I never really understood the idea of taking pictures using the LCD. I mean, why take a picture of something you can already see on this mini-TV-like screen? Isn't that taking away one element of picture taking? The surprise of what actually will come out of the scene you just photographed? Is it as how you actually saw it? Did it come out better in print? Or not?

And another element being the need to get the pictures developed so you can actually see what you have photographed.

I remember being the only one carrying around a film camera on our trips while everyone else had digicams. I didn't really care at first, but it started getting to me after a while... like I was the only one left in the dark ages.

Still... filmless, viewfinderless, and the-lack-of-need-to-develop-what-I-photographed type of picture taking just isn't settling well with me. What's more, I never thought I would actually see cameras doing away with viewfinders.

Clearly, I was slipping deeper into the dark ages.

I was lamenting this fact to my housemate. We were just discussing her digital camera then... and I assumed everyone had basic knowledge about camera parts. (Of course, if you have a camera, shouldn't you have at least the basic knowledge about it?)

Me: "Housemate. Did you know digital cameras now no longer have viewfinders?" (Shock!)
Housemate: [Blink] ??
Me: Viewfinders. [Blink] (don't tell me what I think you are thinking -- that you have no idea what a viewfinder is) I'm looking for a digicam for my sister and I'm surprised to discover they have bigger LCDs now, but that's because they no longer have viewfinders. (Still in disbelief)
Housemate: [Blink] ... er... what's a viewfinder?
Me: [Blink] [Blink] (Shock) oh...

I definitely assumed wrong. Well, at least I have one redeeming factor.

Resistance is futile. Eventually, I give in and finally get my first digital camera. A DSLR no less.

I don't really miss having to worry if I have enough rolls of film, or how to take pictures so I can use up the entire film, or if I should take a picture of this and not that, or that and not this because I'm running out of film, and if I use a new roll of film, I would have to worry again if I have enough rolls of film, or how to take pictures so I can use up the entire film... you get the idea...

I do still use the viewfinder over the LCD most of the time. And I still print my pictures out. The dark ages have its good points.

These were taken using a film camera. Sometimes they make me think maybe I could've gotten a digital camera earlier, then they might've come out even better.

(Pictures taken in 2004 in Russia)


No comments: