Saturday, April 24, 2010

destination: dumaguete (2004)

Antulang Resort. Apo Island, Dumaguete.

I have to admit this is my first time ever to snorkel, but I'm prepared.

After settling down our stuff at the resort, we were off to Apo Island. I’m not a snorkeling geek, but I was definitely going down and not miss out on the fun. Besides, I was on a mission: my first go at underwater picture taking.

Ok. Checklist. Life vest secured... check. Disposable underwater camera... check. My snorkeling buddy... check. I'm good to go.

And down we go. Glub! Glub! Oh corals galore! Corals here, there, and everywhere. Click! Oh, there’s this school of fish there. Click! They’re swimming this way. Click! Hmm, I wonder why there’s this sudden onslaught of fish here? Oh, there’s my friend feeding the fish. Click! Click! Hey hey hey Friend, be careful not to attract the wrong kind of fish or we become fish food instead.

We were advised not to step on the corals because they were alive... so naturally I thought we were in shallow water. Only when I came upon scuba divers a few feet away from me did I realize that that wasn't the case. I wonder what they were looking for? Oh I heard that the place swarms with hawksbill turtles, manta rays and barracudas, but so far, I’ve only seen Nemos and other unidentified swimming creatures by my book. Wait! Manta rays? Ack! Barracudas? Aacckk! Great. Just what I needed to know. I wonder how fast I can get to dry ground.


No comments: