Thursday, July 16, 2009

Balut's anatomy

Was enjoying a lazy afternoon at home when we heard a cry that I'd say almost everyone who grew up in the Philippines is familiar with.

'BALUUUUUUT'

According to Wikipedia, BALUT is a fertilized duck embryo that is boiled and eaten in the shell. It is commonly sold as streetfood in the Philippines. They are common food in countries in Southeast Asia, such as Laos, Cambodia (pong tia koon ពងទាកូន in Cambodian) and Vietnam (trứng vịt lộn or hột vịt lộn in Vietnamese). They are often served with beer.

And as a tribute to my friends who:
1. have heard of it, but haven't seen it...
2. are curious to see what it looks like... 
3. are thinking of trying it but want to see what it looks like

Here you go. Although, these are not for the squeamish. I don't quite get being grossed out with balut. But, it could be because I grew up with it. 

However, don't be fooled. It tastes so much better than it looks.

Here you are.

Bon appetit!







4 comments:

Lee said...

I think I can still hear it breathing...

Unknown said...

i wanna see the duckling!!!

NYEL said...

haha, there's really no way a balut can look appetizing. gross but enticing. :p i like this series! :)

Anonymous said...

hay, i miss balut. Bat naman kasi pinabasa mo pa ito sa akin. Jenny I want balut when u come over ok..seriously...1 tray please..thanks..Candy